Youth Advisory Council
The M-NCPPC Youth Advisory Council is established through the Department of Parks & Recreation to ensure that Prince George’s County youth are given the opportunity to provide feedback and recommendations regarding public policies and programs that affect their future, and to take a leadership role in creating meaningful change. The Youth Advisory Council aligns efforts with the Maryland Action Agenda for Youth and is intended to engage young stakeholders in setting youth priorities and solving community issues in out-of-school time.
The Council’s purpose and responsibility is to:
- Hold at least 3 full council meetings a year in January, May, September
- Attend bi-monthly teen coordinators meetings for Xtreme Teens & Safe Summer programs
- Hold at least one public meeting on issues of importance to youth (topics can include: Safe out-of-school environment, employment opportunities, increasing youth participation in government, youth outdoors and the natural environment, substance abuse and underage drinking, emotional and physical well-being/ bullying, poverty, homelessness, youth access to services, accessibility issues for youth with disabilities, youth programs, Safe Summer
- Recommend one legislative proposal
- Provide testimony before legislative bodies on youth issues
- Conduct a public awareness campaign to raise awareness about the Council and youth priorities for M-NCPPC
- Serve as liaisons on over arching councils and intermediary
If you think that you would like to be a voice for youth in Prince George’s County, please fill out the application online. If you have any questions you may contact the Youth Services Office at 301-446-3400.